When you have a shortage of electrical outlets, a power strip can be a convenient solution… to a point. Most people don’t know that power strips are only designed to handle electronics that draw very little power, relatively speaking. A power strip can safely handle AV equipment or low-power household items like smartphones, tablets, laptops, or lamps.
However, if you plug in a device or appliance that needs a lot of electricity to function, you run the risk of overloading the powerstrip and starting an electrical fire. Keep in mind: even electronics that are small in size can require more power than you think.
NEVER PLUG THESE THINGS INTO A POWER STRIP
Avoid starting an electrical fire by never plugging these items into a power strip.
Large Kitchen Appliances (Refrigerator, Dishwasher, etc.)
These appliances are so high-powered that they’ll easily overload a poor, little power strip. Plug your large appliances directly into the wall. Do not use a multi-outlet converter to plug in more things, or you’ll risk tripping the circuit. These big appliances require their very own, dedicated outlet.
Small Kitchen Appliances
To quote Yoda, “Size matters not.” Smaller appliances require a lot of electricity to perform their tasks, so like larger appliances, these should also have a dedicated outlet while in use. This applies to microwaves, coffee makers, blenders, toasters, toaster ovens, rice cookers, slow cookers, etc.
Hair Styling Tools
This is another one that surprises people. Hairdryers, flat irons, and curling irons draw a lot of power to get as hot as they do, so it’s safest to plug them into a wall outlet. A GFCI outlet is preferable if you’ll be styling your hair near a wet sink or other wet areas.
Extension Cords and Other Power Strips
When you plug one power strip into another (a dangerous practice call “daisy-chaining”), you can very easily overload the circuit and start an electrical fire. The same thing can happen when you plug an extension cord into a power strip or vice verse.