Everyone loves being outdoors in the summer and spending as much time as possible in the sun. However, it’s important to be aware that there are increased electrical risks that come with the season as well. Fortunately our Raleigh electricians at CMC Service Experts are here to tell you what everyone should know about summer electrical safety.
The Top 5 Summer Electrical Safety Tips
- Watch the Water: Summer is a time where we typically spend more time around water, between pool days, boating, and even water-gun fights. To that end, it is important to stay aware of where your outlets are. Mixing water and electricity is not a mistake you want to make under any circumstances, so use electrical covers when possible, and keep extension cords and wires away from pools or other wet areas.
- Purchase a Standby Generator: With increased air conditioning and other electrical consumption, rolling blackouts are not uncommon during the summer. For this reason, it is a good idea to consider installing a backup generator. Even if you only need it for a little bit, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Also, there are carbon monoxide risks with certain generic generators, so you should consider talking to a licensed electrician about installing a standby automatic generator in your home.
- Unplug Devices During Lightning Strikes: Lightning storms are not uncommon during the summer. When the power surges during an electrical strike, it can damage devices like computers and televisions. To avoid having your electrical appliances get damaged, take the precaution of unplugging them when the lightening gets bad.
- Keep Children Away From Power Lines: Children are automatically going to play outside more during the summer. However, when they climb trees and run around, they may come closer to power lines, utility poles, or electrical boxes. Make sure your kids’ play area is clear before they go running around, throwing balls, or flying kites outside over the next few months.
- Don’t Overexert Your System: As mentioned above, summer is the prime season for AC usage. That said, you should know how much your electrical system can handle before running your AC, fans, and other devices at the same time. Summer fires are a real problem in much of the country, and if your devices are old or your system is outdated, you could end up sparking one by accident.
Remember, for all major electrical services, you can contact our Lombard experts at CMC Service Experts. We are here to keep you safe this summer and to make sure your power stays on year-round.Our skilled Raleigh electricians provide unparalleled customer service, with craftmanship that comes with a lifetime warranty.
Call (919) 246-4798 now for scheduling, or click here to contact us online.